HOME CANNING CONTEST
Queen Audrey Scott Nolan and Yamboree President Michael Blanks Presenting 1st Prize for Yamboree Home Canning
East Texas Title Company of Upshur County
Upshur County Extension Office #4 903-843-4019
Entries will be checked in on Wednesday, October 20th, 2021 from 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm at the Yamboree Exhibit Building
- Jam (includes Butters & Marmalades)
- Fruit (canned & pickled)
- Vegetable (pickled excluding cucumbers)
- Pickle (cucumbers)
- BBQ Sauce
Youth (ages 5 through 17) NO ENTRY FEE
Adult (ages 18 and up) NO ENTRY FEE
Awards will be given in each.
(Youth and Adults)
1st Place $10.00
2nd Place $8.00
3rd Place $5.00
Winners will be posted and awards will be available Thursday, October 21st at noon. Best of Show pictures will be taken on Friday, October 22nd at 3:00 pm. All entries should be picked up Saturday the 23rd between 5:00 and 6:00 pm, or Monday morning the 25th between 10:00 am – 12:00 pm. Entries not picked up will be discarded on Monday. So please pick up your Yamboree Home Canning entries as we are not responsible for discarded items.
- All entries must be prepared within one year from the last judging date.
- Must be in standard canning jars (sizes: quarts, pints, and ½ pints only) with clear glass in good condition.
- Jars must be clean and free from rust, dust, dents, or other defects, like bubbles.
- The jar and lid must match.
- Jam and Jelly products cannot be sealed using paraffin wax.
- Produce should be free from blemishes, disease, and spoilage.
- The liquid should be clear.
- Any entry not canned in standard canning jars will be disqualified.
- Ball and Kerr products are recommended for competition.
- No products will be tasted.
- NEW Jars must be labeled with product name, date of prep, processing methods, and processing time.
- Ball Pectin (Original, No Sugar Needed, or Liquid) must be used in Jellies and Jams.
This event is hosted by the Texas Extension Education Association and sponsored in part by Newell Brands, Inc.
Please direct any questions or concerns to:
Katie Nugent, Exhibit Building Chairman (903)841-0092