HOME CANNING CONTEST
2022 HOME CANNING CONTEST
Chairman, Julie York (903) 843-4019
Entries will be checked in on Wednesday, 10/19
between 1:00pm – 4:00pm at the Yamboree Exhibit Building
- Jam (includes Butters & Marmalades)
- Fruit (canned & pickled)
- Vegetable (pickled excluding cucumbers)
- Pickle (cucumbers)
- BBQ Sauce
Youth (ages 5 through 17) NO ENTRY FEE
Adult (ages 18 and up) NO ENTRY FEE
Awards will be given in each.
(Youth and Adults)
1st Place $10.00
2nd Place $8.00
3rd Place $5.00
Winners will be posted Thursday, October 20th. Best of Show pictures will be taken on Friday, October 21st at 3:00pm. Entries must be picked up on Saturday, October 22nd between 3:00 and 4:00pm. No early release. Entries not picked up will be discarded at 4:00 on Saturday. Prize money and ribbons will be given when the product is released.
Ask for judging criteria prior to the event at Julie.email@example.com
- All entries must be prepared within one year from last Yamboree judging date.
- Must be in standard canning jars (sizes: quarts, pints, and ½ pints only) with clear glass in good condition.
- Jars and lids must be clean and free from rust, dust, dents, or other defects, like bubbles.
- Jar and lid brands must match.
- Jam and Jelly products cannot be sealed using paraffin wax.
- Produce should be free from blemishes, disease, and spoilage.
- Liquid should be clear, not cloudy.
- Any entry not canned in standard canning jars will be disqualified.
- Ball and Kerr products are recommended for competition.
- No products will be tasted.
- Jars must be labeled with product name, date of prep, processing methods and cooking/processing time. NOT the name of exhibitor. That will be on a tag when entered.
This event is hosted by the Texas Extension Education Association under the guidance of the Upshur Co. AgriLife Extension Service.
Please direct any questions or concerns to:
Julie York at (903) 680-8128