YAM PIE CONTEST
October 16 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
YAM PIE CONTEST
Enter Your Fresh Yummy Yam Pies
October 16th, 2020
10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Mary Pinkston & Patricia Bynum
Youth………. 9-18 years of age
Adult….…… 19 years and older
- The contest is for plain yam pies only. The pie is judged on the taste of the potato and should have little or no spice, and no extra ingredients such as nuts, coconut, or raisins. The pie crust should be homemade.
- Only one pie per entrant will be accepted.
- Pies should be brought to the Yamboree Exhibit Building between 10:00 a.m. and 12:00 noon on Friday, October 16th.
- There is no entry fee.
JUDGING AND PRIZES
- Judging begins at 12:00 noon on Friday.
- The pie is judged on (1) general appearance, (2) crust, characteristics, and (3) filling characteristics.
- The pies will be judged based on a score sheet by out-of-county judges to select the top ten pies in each division.
- The highest scoring pie in each division will be the Grand Champion and receive a plaque and $100. Second place winners will receive a blue ribbon and $50. Third place winners will receive a ribbon and $25. All 10 finalists in each division will receive a gift pack.
- Winners will be announced at 3 p.m. on Friday in the Exhibit Building. All participants should be present. The adult Grand Champion winner will be photographed presenting their pie to the Yamboree Queen, and the youth Grand Champion winner will be photographed presenting their pie to the president of the Yamboree Association.
- All prizes should be picked up Friday, 4:00 p.m. Pies must be picked up by Friday, 4:00 p.m. If unable to pick up by 4:00 pm, arrangements can be made with the contest staff for late pickup.
This event is sponsored by the Texas Extension Education Association (TEEA) of Upshur County. For more information, call the Upshur County Extension Office, (903) 843-4019.
For information on the original yummy yam pies recipe see the resource page.