Written by Administrator
Friday, 15 May 2009 19:59
YAM PIE CONTEST
October 18th, 2013
Sandra K Fite, Chairperson
1. The contest is for plain yam pies only. The pie should have little or no spice, and no extra ingredients such as nuts, coconut, or raisins. The pie is judged on the taste of the potato. Pie crust should be homemade and is judged. Refer to the scoring information on this page.
2. There will be two divisions of competition: Adult (19 years and older) and Youth (3rd grade thru age 18).
3. Only one pie per entrant will be accepted.
4. Pies should be brought to the Yamboree Exhibit Building between 9:00 and 11:00 a.m. on Friday, October 18th. Judging will begin at 12:00 noon.
5. Upon entry, pies become the property of the Yamboree Association. Participants are asked to use disposable pie plates. NO PIE PLATES WILL BE RETURNED. However, at registration participants can pre-purchase their pie for $9.00 and must pick them up by 4:00 p.m. or they will be sold. A refund will be made to the Grand Champion winner if they pre-purchased their pie.
6. The pies will be judged based on a score sheet by out-of-county home economists to select the top ten pies in each division. The highest scoring pie in each division will be the Grand Champion and the winners will receive a plaque, rosette ribbon and a gift pack. Each of the 9 finalists in each division will receive $10, a blue ribbon, and a gift pack. All other participants will receive a participation ribbon.
7. Winners will be announced at 3 p.m. in the Exhibit Building. All participants should be present at the adult Grand Champion winner will be photographed presenting their pie to the Yam Queen and the youth Grand Champion winner will be photographed presenting their pie to the president of the Yamboree Association. All prizes should be picked up by 4:00 p.m.
8. All pies, unless pre-purchased, will be sold immediately following the contest for $9.00 each.
9. This event is sponsored by the Texas Extension Education Association of Upshur County. For more information, call the Upshur County Extension Office, 903.843.4019
Pie Contest Score Sheet Download
Last Updated on Thursday, 01 August 2013 16:37